Friday, February 6, 2009

all bottled up

This was just part of what I accomplished Friday, from left to right 1.silver cocktail shaker (a free gift on thursday from my employer! also got some cool bushmills whiskey glasses celebrating their 400th year distilling) 2.stout reused jam jar full of homemade simple syrup (1.5 parts sugar to 1 part water heated on moderate flame until liquid then cooled and bottled-kept in fridge for use in cocktails, tea, coffee, whipped cream and baking) 3. day1 of my homemade vanilla (1 cup vodka, 4 fresh vanilla beans cut into 1.2 inch segments, will be kept in the dark and shaken daily, ready to use in baking in about 3 months I hope) 4. homemade chicken stock - I yielded 13 cups of the yummy goodness from one chicken carcass, skin and some vegi ends.....making risotto with it soon! 5. homemade vegi stock - i yielded 11 cups of this dark stock from 2 weeks of vegi ends, including all 17 onions skins (we eat lots of onions and garlic!), about 4 leek green sections, approx 10 tomato ends and stems (I freeze these since they might mold in the fridge since I only make stock about once a month), lots of other odd bits of vegis- this is the reddest I have ever gotten probably from the tomatoes and yellow onions!) 6. homemade ranch dressing recipe here thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/homemade-ranch-dressing/ and last but not least 7. my whey remnants, which got used in the pasta, ranch dressing and mayo today! I have less than a cup left, better make cheese this weekend! lol it was quite a day today....this kitchen was working! I am not sure if I am bottling up my self into compact little parcels, just seem obsessed to do this all NOW......yet I am tired and sore and every pan and funnel in this house has been used today!!!

1 comment:

Vonlipi said...

After reading that post, I started to keep veggie ends in a bag in the freezer. I used two bags of veggies and 2 chicken carcasses and made a delicious broth!

Thanks for the tip! :)