Thursday, April 16, 2009

farm stand

I miss the local farmer's market, it does not start here until may, but on our trip to southern california we were lucky to catch this farm stand open on easter sunday farm stand I bought some seedlings to plant at home, tomatoes, peppers and basil.....strawberries that are so sweet and yummy, tender green beans that are all eaten and the best I have had in years, ok decades, onions, honey, oranges and avocadoes....decadent small haas that I love, and so does my son! Why does it seem to make me happier when I am buying the produce directly from the farmer? no middle man, no market wrapping it in plastic or trucking it across the ocean , I have been in some supermarkets of late (Ralphs in southern California and Save-mart in Carson City, Nevada) that made my cringe to see their produce section, all with labels proclaiming the origin of some far off country, produce that actually looked sickly and shrively and just did not make it into my shopping cart, I was on a quest for sweet potatoes 2 weeks ago, where did I find local healthy looking garnet skinned gems? COSTCO, I bought the box, baked 2 the next day and they were heavenly.....today I am making some into a dinner side dish with onions from the mission hills farm above :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love farm stands. In NJ they open late... and tend to be really really expensive. I always thought they were cheaper but the stands seem to cost so much...